Powered by Blogger.

Fish advances at Miami tennis


Mardy Fish ousted an ailing David Ferrer to reach the semi-finals of the $9 million WTA and ATP Masters Series tournament here Wednesday, and insured he'll become the top-ranked American on the ATP Tour.
Fish, seeded 14th, defeated the sixth-seeded Spaniard 7-5, 6-2.
While Ferrer had plenty of praise for Fish's strong performance on serve, he said he couldn't really rise to the challenge because of a stomach ailment.
"I think it's the digestion," Ferrer said. "I went to the court, and I when I run to rallies, a lot of pain in my stomach. In the second set, I cannot run anymore."
Fish said he wasn't aware of Ferrer's illness, although he did notice the Spaniard's form fell in the second set.
"Obviously he missed a lot more, especially in the second set, than he normally does," Fish said.
Fish thought the windy conditions had something to do with it, and perhaps with the back-to-back double faults that Ferrer served up to drop the 11th game of the first set.
The victory insures Fish will climb to at least 11th when the rankings are next released, while Andy Roddick will fall from eighth to 14th after losing his tournament-opener last week.
"It's very humbling," Fish said. "This is a pretty big country, a lot of people playing tennis. So I'll try to put it into perspective, and I will.

0 comments:

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks
1 Share/Bookmark

Labels

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks