Powered by Blogger.

Former NTUC Income chief running for President?

Former NTUC Income chief Tan Kin Lian said he may stand for the upcoming Presidential Election but will only confirm this at a later date.

His friend, Png Eng Huat, collected the necessary forms on his behalf from the Elections Department on Friday morning.

Mr Png, who is the deputy webmaster of the Workers' Party, was at the Elections Department at 10.10am, three days after the forms for the Presidential Election were made available.

Mr Png said
he has known Mr Tan Kin Lian for nearly 20 years and was helping him to collect the forms since he was in the area. However, he did not confirm if Mr Tan is intending to stand in the upcoming Presidential Elections, adding that they were going to look through the criteria first.

At noon, Mr Tan posted on his blog, saying he has not decided on the matter, as his wife has reservations.

He said: "First there's a bit of fear about being smeared - either through the media or through the internet. Of course, it affects my wife more than me. In my case I said it doesn't matter if people want to take a negative opinion. I'm not too concerned but my wife is more concerned about this smearing and whether I'll get into trouble or not.

"The other concern is the role of the President. A president has to be representing the state. There's a ceremonial and a diplomatic role. I come from a humble background and I live a simple lifestyle. So whether or not I'm suitable for that position is something I myself am not so sure. It's not something I want to go for. But many people want me to step forward, and give them a chance to express their views. And I think it's this call by so many people that I felt I must at least take this step."

However, he said many Singaporeans have emailed him to stand for elections, prompting him to take this first step. And he already has some ideas on what issues to bring up, if he contests.

Mr Tan said: "The role of the elected president is to safeguard the reserves and to have a say in the senior appointment. And I have some idea how I can play those roles. But I've got something else which I consider to be just as important. And that is to bring to the Singaporeans some values that we should be building up for Singapore.

"The values which I consider very important are the values of honesty, fairness, to be positive, to have courage, and values of public service."

Mr Tan also commended another potential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bok, describing him as "approachable" and "a very good friend". He said Dr Tan would be a good candidate. Dr Tan, a former People's Action Party MP, said he is keen to contest.

Dr Tan, a former PAP MP, collected his forms on the first day and is now calling for volunteers through his website to support his election.

Channel NewsAsia understands there has also been "strong ground support" for former opposition MP Chiam See Tong to contest, but nothing is firmed up yet.

Others who have indicated their interest include 70-year-old Ooi Boon Ewe, who failed in his bid to contest the recent General Election as an independent candidate and Former Foreign Affairs Minister George Yeo - who said he is thinking hard about contesting.

0 comments:

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks
1 Share/Bookmark

Labels

Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks